Re: X.org and the Matrox Millenium II

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:29:31PM -0400, jacob wrote:

> Today with a day of mixed blessings. I was over-joyed to see X.org
> finally make into the Alpha/Sid. However, no amount of convolutions by
> myself was sufficient to cause it to work on my "Matrox Graphics, Inc.
> MGA 2164W [Millennium II]".
>
> Sadly, the settings with which the card worked under 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14
> seemed no longer acceptable to the X.org mga_drv. *sigh*
>
> After googling (as much as I was up to tonight), I added 'Load "xaa"' to
> get rid of the XAA* unresolved symbols. I tried not loading any modules.
> Nothing I did seemed to affect the xf86I2C* unresolved symbols, nor the
> type 28 Elf_Relocation error (google was strangely silent about this
> error). I was able to lock up the display, so it wouldn't change,
> regardless of input (although I was still able to switch to tty1, with a
> blank screen, and reboot).

I had the same problems with 6.8.2 (unresolved XAA references and SEGV),
and was able to solve it by adding in:

	Option	"NoInt10"

to prevent the BIOS emulation step from running.

This prevented not only the SEGV but the unresolved references as well.

Only possible side effect may be that, upon exiting to a text console,
text mode may not be correctly/completely restored.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - XC I & B
Hewlett-Packard Company - ZKO1-3/D-B.8     (603) 884-0301
110 Spit Brook Road, Nashua NH 03062       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com