Re: X.org and the Matrox Millenium II

On Mon, Jul 18, 2005 at 11:29:31PM -0400, jacob wrote:
> Greetings all.

> Today with a day of mixed blessings. I was over-joyed to see X.org
> finally make into the Alpha/Sid. However, no amount of convolutions by
> myself was sufficient to cause it to work on my "Matrox Graphics, Inc.
> MGA 2164W [Millennium II]".

> Sadly, the settings with which the card worked under 4.3.0.dfsg.1-14
> seemed no longer acceptable to the X.org mga_drv. *sigh*

> After googling (as much as I was up to tonight), I added 'Load "xaa"' to
> get rid of the XAA* unresolved symbols. I tried not loading any modules.
> Nothing I did seemed to affect the xf86I2C* unresolved symbols, nor the
> type 28 Elf_Relocation error (google was strangely silent about this
> error). I was able to lock up the display, so it wouldn't change,
> regardless of input (although I was still able to switch to tty1, with a
> blank screen, and reboot).

I've just upgraded to xserver-xorg on my alpha in response to your mail.
The missing symbols are fixed by adding these two lines to xorg.conf:

        Load    "xaa"
        Load    "libi2c"

Sounds like a bug to me; I shouldn't have to manually load modules in order
to use a particular X driver...

The segfault, though, remains even after making this change.  (The
Elf_RelocationEntry() errors do also, but I'm not certain those are a real
problem).  Please file a bug report against the xserver-xorg package, so
that the X maintainers can take a look at this.

> If I can't get it working in a couple of days, and no new version comes
> out, I'll file an official bug report (I'm sure the X.org team is swamped
> with them already).

There will be new versions of the package uploaded, but I'm pretty sure they
aren't going to include a fix for this if no one submits a bug report.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer