Re: Root-raid

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:16:48AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:14:20PM +0300, Pekka wrote:
> > but there is still so much things that are open, is those disk
> > BSD-labeled, what else have to
> > do before those command to get root-raid work etc. I have make manytimes
> > x86 root-raid machines so the idea is
> > kind a clear for me. Any help? more succes stories and perhaps some good
> > quides/url/mails for me?
>
> It looks like you install normally then you create the RAID partitions
> manually later.

That's exactly what I did on goedel.d.o: I've installed a small system
into a partition I turned into swapspace or /boot later (can't
remember exactly). Then I setup the software RAID and use initrd and
root=/dev/md0 for the rest.

The problems I remember are initrd-related: if mkinitrd notices that
you want a root-RAID it inserts the correct modules but I've got faint
memory on using "mkinitrd -k /tmp/whatever" and manipulating the stuff
inside. Once you've booted with root-RAID mkinitrd will work fine.

Apropos remembering stuff: I spent some time cursing over non-working
initrd-images until I remembered that "cramfs" uses the machines
pagesize as blocksize, the Linux ramdisk 4k blocks. The Debian kernels
are patched to work this out but if you for some reason use a vanilla
kernel you're warned :-) I've put "ramdisk_blocksize=8192" into my
aboot.conf so that this effect can never happen again...

Cheers
   Thimo