Re: Root-raid

On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:14:20PM +0300, Pekka wrote:
> I'v tried many times to set up root raid to my AlphaServer es40 with no
> succes.
> I found some help in these mailinglist archives, but I'm still stuck at
> the beginning.
> When I make a clean install the installer allways makes BSD-disklabel
> "things" to
> HD and therefore I can't set partition type to fd (linux raid autodetect).
> So is possible at all make software root-raid in my situation? Is there
> somewere
> some step-by-step quide or something like that? One good url that I
> found is:

> http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2005/03/msg00062.html

> but there is still so much things that are open, is those disk
> BSD-labeled, what else have to
> do before those command to get root-raid work etc. I have make manytimes
> x86 root-raid machines so the idea is
> kind a clear for me. Any help? more succes stories and perhaps some good
> quides/url/mails for me?

Did you follow the directions in that URL and find problems with it, or have
you not tried yet?

You're right that Linux raid autodetect is not supported on OSF/1
disklabels, because there is no way to set a partition type that the kernel
will recognize.  However, this is certainly a non-issue if you are using the
Debian kernels, since all Debian kernels on alpha use initrds and don't need
kernel-level autodetection (and I'm not sure it even works with modular RAID
support?).

On Mon, Aug 15, 2005 at 09:16:48AM +1000, Craig Small wrote:
> On Sun, Aug 14, 2005 at 07:14:20PM +0300, Pekka wrote:
> > but there is still so much things that are open, is those disk
> > BSD-labeled, what else have to
> > do before those command to get root-raid work etc. I have make manytimes
> > x86 root-raid machines so the idea is
> > kind a clear for me. Any help? more succes stories and perhaps some good
> > quides/url/mails for me?

> It looks like you install normally then you create the RAID partitions
> manually later.  Never tried it myself, but have a look at
> Alexander Kotelnikov's successful story at
> http://lists.debian.org/debian-alpha/2005/03/msg00062.html

Has anyone tried to see whether the sarge installer's MD support is usable
on OSF/1 disklabels?  I haven't tried it, but I think there might be a good
chance that installing directly to RAID *is* supported.