Re: Sarge Release Notes - Architecture specific news?

Hi Helge,

On Sat, May 21, 2005 at 01:45:40PM +0200, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:
> Hello Frans,
> On Fri, May 20, 2005 at 09:02:35PM +0200, Frans Pop wrote:
> > On Friday 20 May 2005 13:56, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > > Does this need to be in the release notes when it's already in the
> > > installation manual?  Upgrading a woody machine already running milo
> > > should work fine.
> >
> > I have no problems with adding a paragraph on this subject in chapter 3
> > [1] of the release notes for alpha.
> > However, we don't have a few days. I would need a proposed text tomorrow
> > (Saturday) at the latest.
> >
> > [1]http://www.debian.org/releases/testing/alpha/release-notes/ch-installing.en.html
>
> Ok. I would suggest adding the following paragraph at the end of this
> page:

> The installer requires the SRM-console to be present. Be sure to
> switch to SRM before starting the installation. If you have a
> AlphaBIOS/Arc-only machine you need to to a (minimal) woody
> installation and a subsequent upgrade. For more information about the
> different consoles please read the references on the <a
> href="http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha";>Debian alpha port web
> pages</a>.

Pardon me for tweaking the grammar:

The sarge installer can only be used to install on alpha systems which
support the SRM console.  Be sure to switch your system to SRM before
starting the installation.  If your machine supports only the AlphaBIOS/ARC
console, you can still isntall sarge using a (minimal) woody
installation and a subsequent upgrade. For more information about the
different consoles please read the references on the <a
href="http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha";>Debian alpha port web
pages</a>.

Thanks,
--