Re: Apple Cinema HD Display + PWS433au, what graphics card to buy?

On Fri, May 13, 2005 at 01:20:47AM +0300, Jaakko Linnosaari wrote:
> Hello!
>
> I might get a decent deal on an used 23" Apple display. I was thinking of
> hooking it up to my trusty old PWS433au with Debian.
>
> The monitor is equipped with ADC, but I'll get an ADC-to-DVI adapter as
> well; so I figured I need to get a PCI-based graphics card with
> DVI-connector that supports resolutions up to 1920x1200, plus it needs to
> be supported under xfree.
>
> The documentation for the monitor
> (http://download.info.apple.com/Apple_Support_Area/Manuals/specs/displays/L26120A_EN.pdf)
> says:
>
> "The Apple Cinema HD Display requires Mac OS X v10.1.3 or Mac OS 9.2.2 or
> later, and one of the following systems:
>
>  - Power Mac G4 with an NVIDIA GeForce2 MX, GeForce3, GeForce4 MX, or
>    GeForce4 Titanium graphics card; or with an ATI Radeon 7500, 9000 Pro,
>    or 9700 Pro graphics card
>  - PowerBook G4 with a DVI port and an Apple DVI to ADC Adapter
>
> A second Apple display can be used with a Power Mac G4 via the DVI port on
> the NVIDIA GeForce4 MX, GeForce4 Titanium, ATI Radeon 7500, Radeon 9000
> Pro, or Radeon 9700 Pro graphics card and the Apple DVI to ADC Adapter."
>
> I was thinking if it would be possible to get away with Radeon 9250 or
> even Matrox G450/G550? Any info/experience with Alpha and
> 1920x1200-resolution flat screens is appreciated. Thanks!
>

> Jaska

I don't think the Alpha is going to be an issue for you, just get
whatever card is supposed to work with X at that resolution.  i
believe you may need to specify a modeline to get X @ 1920x1200 to
work properly (its a low 43hz refresh rate on dvi or something?)

i have a PCI Radeon 9100 in my lx164.  presumably it would work fine
if i had such a monitor.