Re: SRM troubles

On Thu, 12 May 2005, Neil Roeth wrote:

  > On May 12, Simon Brown (simon@cliffestones.demon.co.uk) wrote:
  >  > Hi,
  >  >
  >  > I'm new to this list and new to alphas, but a search of the archives
  >  > didn't help me out. I was lucky enought to pick up a XP1000 earlier in
  >  > the week. I've burnt a Netinst image and installed an IDE cdrom
  >  > drive. In the installation guide it states that only booting via SRM
  >  > is supported so in the alpha bios CMOS settings menu I changed it to
  >  > SRM and power cycled.
  >  >
  >  > Now all I get is a blue screen with flashing cursor and no repsonse
  >  > from the keyboard or a prompt of any kind.
  >  >
  >  > How do I proceed. I don't know how to undo what I have done. Hopefully
  >  > it hasn't just become a paper weight.
  >  >
  >  > thanks
  >  >
  >  > Simon.
  >  > --

This does sound like console is directed to the serial port.

I am never sure which of my cables is actually a null modem cable, so I
keep a bunch of labeled null-modem adapters on hand.  If the cable does
not work by itself, then I attach a null-modem adapter which usually fixes
the problem.

Null modem adapters are pretty cheap.

Toni

Toni Harbaugh-Blackford                   harbaugh@abcc.ncifcrf.gov
System Administrator
Advanced Biomedical Computing Center (ABCC)
National Cancer Institute
Contractor - SAIC/Frederick