Re: booting from CD on Alphastation 255

Hi Oliver,

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:50:06PM +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:
> Rob Dupcak wrote:

> > (Some people claim to have luck with madly hitting CTRL-C before it starts
> > booting - but I've never had that work.)

> Thanks to all the people who answered. Madly hitting Ctrl-C did the job
> and after that it was all fairly straightforward.

> Only issue was that it appears to load the tulip network driver which
> doesn't work. de4x5 does work nicely, however. I think that's probably
> hotplug's fault. Anyone know if that's a bug I should be reporting and
> what information (lspci output?) is needed.

Please see bug #294867, which discusses dropping de4x5 as the preferred
module for all chips.  If you have a card that *needs* de4x5 to function,
lspci -n and uname -a is going to be important to know.

> Before I build myself a custom kernel does anyone have any suggestions
> on whether I should go with 2.4 or 2.6? Is 2.6 stable on an alpha and
> would it probably be slower on such old hardware?

2.6 currently has problems with support for a number of common (on alpha)
qlogic chips.  The corresponding driver is quite stable in 2.4.27.

I've also found that I can't run hotplug on my alpha when running 2.6, as
some miscellaneous driver that's loaded causes a kernel panic.  Haven't
tracked it down yet -- since I'm not running serial console, the details of
the crash scroll off the screen and are lost.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer