Re: booting from CD on Alphastation 255

Rob Dupcak wrote:

> (Some people claim to have luck with madly hitting CTRL-C before it starts
> booting - but I've never had that work.)

Thanks to all the people who answered. Madly hitting Ctrl-C did the job
and after that it was all fairly straightforward.

Only issue was that it appears to load the tulip network driver which
doesn't work. de4x5 does work nicely, however. I think that's probably
hotplug's fault. Anyone know if that's a bug I should be reporting and
what information (lspci output?) is needed.

I also get some error message about unzip compression formats immediately
before aboot starts but it doesn't seem to actually matter.

Before I build myself a custom kernel does anyone have any suggestions
on whether I should go with 2.4 or 2.6? Is 2.6 stable on an alpha and
would it probably be slower on such old hardware?

Thanks

Oliver