Re: booting from CD on Alphastation 255

On Fri, Apr 01, 2005 at 06:50:06PM +0200, Oliver Kiddle wrote:

> Before I build myself a custom kernel does anyone have any suggestions
> on whether I should go with 2.4 or 2.6? Is 2.6 stable on an alpha and
> would it probably be slower on such old hardware?

I'm happily running 2.6.8.1 on my AlphaStation 255 and haven't
experienced any problems. It should be noted I don't stress that machine
very much, though.

Possibly the only thing to note is that the built-in sound doesn't work
with ALSA (at least as far as I know); it works with OSS, though.

Cheers,

Phil

--
"You think I'm evil if I bring a group of girls on a camping trip and
_don't_ touch them?"