Re: FTBFS gnugk 2:2.2.1-4 on alpha

Kilian,

On Sun, Mar 13, 2005 at 12:09:19AM +0100, Kilian Krause wrote:
> Am Samstag, den 12.03.2005, 14:54 -0800 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> > On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:09:04PM +0100, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > > i've come to find a large problem debugging the FTBFS listed in
> > > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=gnugk&ver=2%
> > > 3A2.2.1-4&arch=alpha&stamp=1110438256&file=log&as=raw

> > > Quite apparently i have neither a gdb backtrace (Cannot access memory at
> > > address 0x202dbae000000000) nor a serious strace output
> > > (http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/gnugk.strace) to hand in. The only
> > > guess i have so far is that either the dynlinker or gcc output code is
> > > broken in latest SID. As i have no idea about where to start digging for
> > > the issue causing this within the gcc-internals or glibc-changes, i'd
> > > welcome a guiding light on how to get this solved.

> > > As this seems be the only blocker for the pkg-voip packages to proceed
> > > into Sarge, we'd be quite relieved to see this solved. Whoever has a
> > > proposal what to try or which patch to add, i'm all ears.

> > Well, I'm pleased to see this package does use -Wall, and builds cleanly --
> > but I also see that it's building with -Os, which should not be used in
> > Debian packages.  Any chance changing that to -O2 helps (in which case,
> > there's a compiler bug, but only in a feature you shouldn't be using)?

> > I'll grab the sources and see what I can find out on my alpha here.

> that -Os comes most probably from pwlib which has size as a preference
> for the sheer amount of OS abstraction layer functions which would
> elsewise produce a quite larger library. That decision was taken
> upstream and we have so far not questioned it, but if that is indeed an
> issue, I see no problem putting a fixed version up. If however that's
> not really mandantory, i'd prefer doing that post sarge as we're down to
> about one left showstopper which is the gnugk build on alpha. (or at
> least starting only that once the current pkg-voip debs are safe in
> sarge with the current versions).

Well, this is definitely a problem with build options.  If I add the
following two lines to Makefile.in:

STDCXXFLAGS	= -fno-elide-constructors
OPTCCFLAGS	= -O2

gnugk builds successfully on alpha, with a gnugk binary that doesn't
segfault on startup.  I'm running through a few rebuilds now to see which of
these two changes is actually needed, and if -fno-elide-constructors is
really needed or if it's sufficient to omit the -felide-constructors that
was previously being set.  Either way, the fix is within reach.

Even if pwlib upstream things -Os is appropriate, btw, unless you can
concretely justify its use for *this* package, I would still strongly
recommend switching to -O2 in gnukg for sarge even if it's not actually
needed to fix the alpha failure.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek