Re: FTBFS gnugk 2:2.2.1-4 on alpha

Hi Steve,

Am Samstag, den 12.03.2005, 14:54 -0800 schrieb Steve Langasek:
> Hi Kilian,
>
> On Sat, Mar 12, 2005 at 09:09:04PM +0100, Kilian Krause wrote:
> > i've come to find a large problem debugging the FTBFS listed in
> > http://buildd.debian.org/fetch.php?&pkg=gnugk&ver=2%
> > 3A2.2.1-4&arch=alpha&stamp=1110438256&file=log&as=raw
>
> > Quite apparently i have neither a gdb backtrace (Cannot access memory at
> > address 0x202dbae000000000) nor a serious strace output
> > (http://backend.verfaction.de/~kk/gnugk.strace) to hand in. The only
> > guess i have so far is that either the dynlinker or gcc output code is
> > broken in latest SID. As i have no idea about where to start digging for
> > the issue causing this within the gcc-internals or glibc-changes, i'd
> > welcome a guiding light on how to get this solved.
>
> > As this seems be the only blocker for the pkg-voip packages to proceed
> > into Sarge, we'd be quite relieved to see this solved. Whoever has a
> > proposal what to try or which patch to add, i'm all ears.
>
> Well, I'm pleased to see this package does use -Wall, and builds cleanly --
> but I also see that it's building with -Os, which should not be used in
> Debian packages.  Any chance changing that to -O2 helps (in which case,
> there's a compiler bug, but only in a feature you shouldn't be using)?
>
> I'll grab the sources and see what I can find out on my alpha here.

that -Os comes most probably from pwlib which has size as a preference
for the sheer amount of OS abstraction layer functions which would
elsewise produce a quite larger library. That decision was taken
upstream and we have so far not questioned it, but if that is indeed an
issue, I see no problem putting a fixed version up. If however that's
not really mandantory, i'd prefer doing that post sarge as we're down to
about one left showstopper which is the gnugk build on alpha. (or at
least starting only that once the current pkg-voip debs are safe in
sarge with the current versions).

--
Best regards,
 Kilian