woody->sarge upgrade trouble

Greetings,

I've run into two problems upgrading from woody to sarge.
Work-aroundable problems to be sure, but upgrade hitches nonetheless in
need of bug reports, and I don't know where to start.  (Not necessarily
Alpha issues, but noticed them on an alpha system, and not on i386.)

First, perl and perl-modules upgraded without perl-base, such that a
package with install-docs in its pre- or postrm (libxml2-dev in this
case) can't find Basename.pm.  To fix this, I had to install perl-base
by hand and restart the upgrade.  This is pretty significant breakage,
but where to file the bug, perl, or apt, or ??

Second, menu reinstalled but was not configured prior to being used by a
prerm.  So when ghostview's update failed with:

Removing ghostview ...
/var/lib/dpkg/info/ghostview.postrm: /usr/bin/update-menus: Permission denied
dpkg: error processing ghostview (--purge):
 subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

Again, where's the bug, and what's its nature?  Does menu need to be
configured right at install time, like many others?

Thanks,

-Adam

http://www.take6.com/albums/greatesthits.html