Re: clamd crash?

Hello,
On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 05:11:14PM +0100, Adrian Zaugg wrote:
> On my alpha, the kernel reports the following abaout clamd in the syslog:
>
> Jan  6 16:38:07 ente kernel: clamd(27863): unaligned trap at
> 0000020000037750: 00000200012fecf2 28 0

This means, that clamd tried to access some memory which the CPU
cannot directly access, because the address is not properly aligned.
The kernel fixes that, and then the access occurs. So this message is
harmless, except that it costs you a little performance.

> I find those records several times a day. What does this mean? Do I have
> to file a bug?

You can file a whishlist bug if you want, but do not expect developers
to jump onto it. Sometimes an alignement problem hides other problems,
but unless you note problems related to these messages (i.e., a
malfunction whenever it occurs) I would not worry.

Greetings

          Helge

--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de