Re: woody->sarge upgrade trouble

On Thu, Jan 06, 2005 at 11:45:15AM -0500, Adam C Powell IV wrote:
> I've run into two problems upgrading from woody to sarge.
> Work-aroundable problems to be sure, but upgrade hitches nonetheless in
> need of bug reports, and I don't know where to start.  (Not necessarily
> Alpha issues, but noticed them on an alpha system, and not on i386.)

> First, perl and perl-modules upgraded without perl-base, such that a
> package with install-docs in its pre- or postrm (libxml2-dev in this
> case) can't find Basename.pm.  To fix this, I had to install perl-base
> by hand and restart the upgrade.  This is pretty significant breakage,
> but where to file the bug, perl, or apt, or ??

This is RC bug #278495.

> Second, menu reinstalled but was not configured prior to being used by a
> prerm.  So when ghostview's update failed with:

> Removing ghostview ...
> /var/lib/dpkg/info/ghostview.postrm: /usr/bin/update-menus: Permission denied
> dpkg: error processing ghostview (--purge):
>  subprocess post-removal script returned error exit status 1

> Again, where's the bug, and what's its nature?  Does menu need to be
> configured right at install time, like many others?

I think this is generally considered to be a bug in the calling package; at
least, the menu maintainer has stuck by this particular interface (i.e.,
only setting update-menus executable when the package is configured),
because there are a number of packages that use update-menus iff it's
installed so they don't have to depend on menu.

Since this particular bug is caused by a *woody* version of a package
calling update-menus, it would probably be a good idea to revisit this issue
with the menu maintainer, however.  I would encourage you to file an RC bug
against the menu package.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer