Re: Strange Exim Problem on Alpha

On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 02:37:48PM -0800, Steve Langasek wrote:
> On Mon, Nov 08, 2004 at 03:54:59PM -0600, John Goerzen wrote:
> I see from your bug report that this is a reiserfs filesystem.  I've been
> told that reiserfs is not considered stable on alpha; it has actually been
> disabled in the sarge installer for this architecture over corruption
> concerns.  This may or may not be related, but I figured it was worth
> pointing out.

Hmm.  I've been running it for a year or two, 24/7, with no real
problems.  I've heard that JFS is not workable on Alpha.  What modern
FSs actually work?

> The other factor at work here is probably that df is using the statfs()
> function from glibc, whereas exim4 is using statfs64() due to the CFLAGS
> settings -D_FILE_OFFSET_BITS=64 -D_LARGEFILE_SOURCE.  We may be looking at a
> broken implementation of the statfs64() libc call on alpha, or a broken
> statfs64() syscall (either when pointing at reiserfs, or in general).

You might look at the strace info in the bug report -- the statfs
syscall returned the correct info, so I think we can rule out the kernel
here.

-- John