Re: Problem with md autodetect on Alpha platform?

On Wed, Jul 14, 2004 at 06:08:42PM +0000, J. Dub wrote:
> I guess this may be Alpha-specific pain...

> I have a problem autodetecting raid arrays on Debian Alpha.

Software raid autodetection is specific to MS-DOS partition tables.

> 4. Partitions have fd flag
> ----------
> 5 partitions:
> #       start       end      size     fstype   [fsize bsize   cpg]
>  a:        1*        9*        8*      ext2
>  b:       10        75        66         fd
>  c:       76       337       262         fd
>  d:      338       403        66         fd
>  e:      339      1106       768         fd
> ------------

The above appears to be a BSD disklabel, therefore

> 1. I can start raid by using raidtools and /etc/raidtab

this is your only option.

> I need to configure autodection to mirror root partition. I moved
> aboot.conf in ext2 boot partition so it's not a problem for aboot to start
> kernel.

If you use an initial ramdisk, you don't need autodetection working in
order to enable mirroring on the root partition.  There is even support
for this in the Debian raid packages, in the form of mkinitrd hooks.

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer