Re: kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic problems

On Mon, Jun 21, 2004 at 01:40:05PM -0400, Rob Dupcak wrote:
> Last night I tried to install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic, but ran into
> two problems...

> 1) While installing (apt-get install kernel-image-2.6.6-1-generic), I
> saw a handful of unaligned trap errors from depmod.  However everything
> completed just fine after that.  (As far as I know).  Is this even a
> problem?

> 2) While booting, I got a message such as "RAMDISK too large!", then it
> couldn't mount a root filesystem and then panic'ed.

> I had this last problem with 2.6.5-1-generic too.

> Any suggestions for what I'm screwing up?  Or how I can resolve the
> problems?

If the libc problem isn't it, you may simply need to increase your
allowed initrd size on the kernel commandline.  This can be done with
the ramdisk_size=xxxxx option in your /etc/aboot.conf.

> Should I just stick with the kernel images at:
> http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/ ?

> This is on an LX164 system.

You may find that these kernels are necessary anyway on an LX164 system,
but this is unrelated to the problem you're currently fighting with.

Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer