Re: Strange SCSI controller

On Sat, Jun 12, 2004 at 10:36:20AM +0200, Joerg Hoh wrote:
> I've a PWS 433 which worked very well with linux kernels from the
> woody-bootfloppies and several selfcompiled ones (version 2.4.X and 2.6.X)
> and I never encounterd any problems.

> Then I put a LSI-Controller (2 channels, UW, HVD) into it to test some
> external Sun Storage. And from this moment on the kernel driver for the
> SCSI controller (QLogic ISP 1020), which is connected to the internal
> drives, crashed the kernel on boot. I removed the LSI card, but the kernel
> crashed :-(

Can you please elaborate on what you mean by "crashed"?  Was this a
kernel panic with backtrace, a failure to mount the rootfs, ... ?

> I've just tried it with Steves latest version of the d-i, but on this
> version the d-i hangs when autodetecting the hardware ("Loading module
> 'qlogicisp' for 'Q Logic ISP1020 Fast-wide SCSI'...").

Which image gave you this error?  This is quite different from the
problems others are reporting with the images at
<http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/fixed-alpha-kernels/>, but if you're
using something from
<http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/d-i/images/daily/>, then this looks
like the bug that the fixed-alpha-kernels were built to address.

Regards,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer