Re: Why no /dev/hda even though the disk is recognized?

On Wed, Jun 02, 2004 at 12:37:06PM -0400, Cernese, Dan wrote:
> I'm trying to install a clean sarge/testing debian on a DS20L, but
> with little success. (It's an IDE drive, no floppy, no SCSI drive but
> has a built-in SCSI).

> I was able to use the debian-installer to shell-out and execute fdisk
> to create a BSD disklabel and useful partitions.  The shell, however,
> does not have a /dev/hda even though it has a /dev/discs/disc0/ and
> /dev/ide/host0/bus0/target0/lun0/ which point to the IDE drive.

> Using "discover scsi" finds it's controller, but using
> "discover ide" shows nothing.

> partman sees the drive, but of course that's useless.

Er, "useless" how?

If partman sees the drive, it should also be able to see the partitions
(since this is all done through the kernel /dev tree, as exposed by
devfs).  If it can see the partitions, it should be able to configure
appropriate mount points for the installer.  Where does the uselessness
ensue?

--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer