Re: Alpha PWS 433a and Adaptec AHA-294X Boot Blues

On Mon, May 17, 2004 at 07:58:26PM +0100, Gary Gale wrote:

> > I'm sorry if I missed this in an earlier message; is there a reason you
> > didn't try to boot the CD from SRM?  Is your CD not recognized as a boot
> > device with your particular configuration?

> Believe me when I say I'd love to be able to boot from SRM, but the
> version of the SRM firmware I have (which is the latest version) doesn't
> recognise my Adaptec AHA-294X SCSI controller; hence the root cause of the
> problem.

> > If so, your best bet for a direct sarge install (given the lack of MILO
> > and boot floppy support) might be to use the daily netboot images
> > available from <http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/d-i/images/daily/>.

> OK - sounds like a plan. So
> http://people.debian.org/~vorlon/d-i/images/daily/dest/netboot/boot.img is
> 4.9 Mb, so that means a CD image.

It is not a CD image, it is a netboot image.  That means you put it on a
tftp server located on a machine that has a network connection to your
alpha, and you tell SRM to boot from the network device: for tulip
cards, this is boot ewa0 -fl ""', and I recall that there is another
device name for the other ethernet chipsets that SRM supports for
netbooting but don't remember what that device name is.  (If in doubt,
"show dev" should show you whether there are SRM-recognized ethernet
cards as devices beginning with "e").  This is hoping that at least your
ethernet chip is supported from SRM, even if your SCSI chip isn't.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer