Re: Alpha PWS 433a and Adaptec AHA-294X Boot Blues

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

Hi Helge,

> > So far, so good. However, when I boot the machine, either via the
> > JumpStart CD or via a floppy based linload->MILO boot configuration,
> > almost everytime the boot of the kernel hangs after the following
> > diagnostics ...
> Woody boot floppies or new Debian Installer?

I've downloaded the beta 4 Debian-Installer image and I'll give it a try
at home tonight ... actually I meant to do this over the weekend but the
weather was so good that beer and BBQ's beckoned too strongly; please try
to forgive me :-)

> > (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294x UltraSCSI host adaptor> found at PCI 1/9/0
> > (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSCI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
> > (scsi0) Cables present (INT-50 YES, INT-68 YES, EXT-68 NO)
> > (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code ... 422 instructions downloaded
> > scsi0: Adaptec AHA 274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
> >        <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adaptor>
> > scsi: 1 host.
> > and there we hang. Note that I say this "almost" always happens as I did
> > manage to get linload.exe and MILO installed and the JumpStart CD
> > partitioned the drive.
> >
> Please have a look at
> Though they might not be related and only happend with kernels >
> 2.4.20, so this might be different from your problem. If you use the
> Debian Installer, then this is understandable, as jumpstart uses a way
> older kernel.

I'm not sure whether this is related or not. Certainly the JumpStart
kernel is old (IIRC the JumpStart ISO image was released 3+ years ago).
The symptoms described in the bug report are _similar_ to what I'm

>This kernel (and 2.4.22) fails to boot while 2.4.21-pre1 boots and works
> The last lines (written off the screen by hand, dots indicate skipping)
>scsi0: Adaptec ... Rev. 6.2.36
>       <Adaptec 2940 Ultra ...
>       aic7880 Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7,16,253 SCBS

It's at this point that my boot hangs indefinately, I don't get the
following errors at all.

>scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at reqaddr: 0x1aa
>scsi0: Received a Master Abort

I'll try the Installer CD tonight and if that fails fall back onto the
Woody boot floppies as suggested.

"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley; LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

BOFH Excuse #76: Unoptimised hard drive.

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()