Re: Alpha PWS 433a and Adaptec AHA-294X Boot Blues

On Sun, 16 May 2004, Helge Kreutzmann wrote:

Hi Helge,

> > So far, so good. However, when I boot the machine, either via the
> > JumpStart CD or via a floppy based linload->MILO boot configuration,
> > almost everytime the boot of the kernel hangs after the following
> > diagnostics ...
>
> Woody boot floppies or new Debian Installer?

I've downloaded the beta 4 Debian-Installer image and I'll give it a try
at home tonight ... actually I meant to do this over the weekend but the
weather was so good that beer and BBQ's beckoned too strongly; please try
to forgive me :-)

> > (scsi0) <Adaptec AHA-294x UltraSCSI host adaptor> found at PCI 1/9/0
> > (scsi0) Wide Channel, SCSCI ID=7, 16/255 SCBs
> > (scsi0) Cables present (INT-50 YES, INT-68 YES, EXT-68 NO)
> > (scsi0) Downloading sequencer code ... 422 instructions downloaded
> > scsi0: Adaptec AHA 274x/284x/294x (EISA/VLB/PCI-Fast SCSI) 5.1.31/3.2.4
> >        <Adaptec AHA-294X Ultra SCSI host adaptor>
> > scsi: 1 host.
> > and there we hang. Note that I say this "almost" always happens as I did
> > manage to get linload.exe and MILO installed and the JumpStart CD
> > partitioned the drive.
> >
> Please have a look at
>
> Though they might not be related and only happend with kernels >
> 2.4.20, so this might be different from your problem. If you use the
> Debian Installer, then this is understandable, as jumpstart uses a way
> older kernel.

I'm not sure whether this is related or not. Certainly the JumpStart
kernel is old (IIRC the JumpStart ISO image was released 3+ years ago).
The symptoms described in the bug report are _similar_ to what I'm
experiencing

>This kernel (and 2.4.22) fails to boot while 2.4.21-pre1 boots and works
>happily.
> The last lines (written off the screen by hand, dots indicate skipping)
>are
>scsi0: Adaptec ... Rev. 6.2.36
>       <Adaptec 2940 Ultra ...
>       aic7880 Ultra Wide Channel A, SCSI Id=7,16,253 SCBS

It's at this point that my boot hangs indefinately, I don't get the
following errors at all.

>scsi0: PCI error Interrupt at reqaddr: 0x1aa
>scsi0: Received a Master Abort

I'll try the Installer CD tonight and if that fails fall back onto the
Woody boot floppies as suggested.

Cheers

Gary

--
"There are two major products that came out of Berkeley; LSD and UNIX.
We don't believe this to be a coincidence."

BOFH Excuse #76: Unoptimised hard drive.

Linux, because eventually, you grow up enough to be trusted with a fork()