Re: Installation on 164-LX

On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 08:34:44PM -0700, Bill Moseley wrote:
> On Thu, May 13, 2004 at 09:56:45PM -0500, Steve Langasek wrote:
> > Currently, installing sarge on a machine running AlphaBIOS is not
> > supported.  No one has stepped forward to maintain MILO support for
> > sarge (and if you've seen the pedigree of MILO's code, you surely
> > needn't wonder why :).

> Well, today was my first experience with MILO.  Frankly, I don't really
> understand the parts -- I'm assuming that AlphaBIOS is analogous to the
> BIOS I have on my PCs and MILO works like LILO.  But, your reference to
> installing SRM makes me wonder if that is a correct assumption.  Is SRM
> installed by flashing?

> Still, if I wanted to install Woody from CD I'd still need to boot from
> CD, and that's where I'm stuck.  Can you tell from my post what I am
> doing incorrectly?

From your post, you're trying to install sarge, not woody.  If you are trying
to install woody, I would refer you to the installation manual for that
version.  You will not be able to boot a sarge CD on this system, however,
unless you flash your system to use SRM instead of AlphaBIOS.  (Your analogy
wrt AlphaBIOS is essentially correct, it just happens that AlphaBIOS is only
one of the firmware options for alpha systems).

> I'm also thinking that the current setup on the machine is not correct
> because it won't boot automatically and I need to enter the boot line
> manually.

This seems like a minor issue, a mere matter of the MILO config.

Cheers,
--
Steve Langasek
postmodern programmer