Re: 4D20 TGA2 graphics with X

Hi.

Thanks to all for your answers. The problem is solved, the graphics board is
running with X and KDE.

Jay Estabrook wrote:

> PowerStorm	Actual
> Model		Hardware
> ----------	--------
>
> 3D10		S3 Trio64 (NT only)
> 3D30		TGA2 8-plane
> 4D10T		ELSA Gloria Synergy 8
> 4D20		TGA2 24-plane
> 4D40T		Intergraph Cateye
> 4D50T		Intergraph Cateye
> 4D51T		Intergraph Cateye
> 4D60T		Intergraph Cateye
>
> 300		Evans and Sutherland REALimage
> 350		Evans and Sutherland REALimage
>
> Only 3D10, 3D30, 4D10T and 4D20 have XFree86 support.
>
> If you really DO have a 4D20, it is fully supported, regardless of
> what the docs (kernel or xfree86) have to say.
>
> Kernels 2.4.x have always had support for it in text mode, as it looks
> and behaves just like a VGA, which the frontend Cirrus chipset is.
> XFree86 from 4.1.0 on also supports it.
>
> You DO (often) have to put in an appropriate "BusID" option in the
> "Device" Section of the XF86Config file, but beyond that, it should
> work fine, albeit a bit slow when compared to more modern (and more
> fully accelerated) cards. 3D30 will ONLY work in 8-bit mode, and
> 4D20 ONLY in 24-bit mode.
>
> Kernels 2.6.x should also support either TGA2 fully in text mode
> (though the older original TGA is currently problematic, IIRC).
>
> Good luck.
>
>  --Jay++

I double-checked my board. It is labled PBXGB-CA, several Google-hits say it
is a Powerstorm 4D20.

I installed Debian Woody 3.0r0 without any online updates (low bandwidth
here), selected the TGA driver - it came up with XFree86 4.1 without any
problem.

The XFree86 4.4 online documentation is still telling that this board is not
supported, maybe I should write a mail ...

   Hartwig