Re: Alpha Server 2100 4/275 Compaq AVGA and XFree86 3.3.6

On Thu, Jan 08, 2004 at 12:12:42AM +0000, Richard Page wrote:
> Thanks for saving me time Jay, I have a couple of DEC 21030
> one which worked when I installed Debian on an Alpha station
> 200 4/233 - but playing around with them in the server has not
> been successful - do you know this card - the one in my hand is a 54-23184-01
> Should this work in the server - should I be changing its configuration?
> How should the SRM console react to different cards?

It (SRM) should "just work". Are you having a problem even before the kernel
gets booted?

54-23184-01 is the original TGA 8-plane card, and should work in an

> Another question - because I have taken the Compaq EISA card in and
> out I am getting an SRM error message - I have an ECU floppy but how
> do I proceed when I get to the update configuration floppy - when I
> do not have one and cannot see how to generate a new one!

I've always avoided EISA cards as much as possible, so that I could
avoid the ECU... ;-}

When you run the ECU from SRM, it should be possible to delete the
EISA VGA from the configuration, and, once saved, should eliminate
those pesky error messages.

Good luck.

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com