Re: Kernel vierdness with ISDN

On Fri, 2003-01-10 at 13:04, Paul Slootman wrote:
> On Thu 09 Jan 2003, Kári Davíðsson wrote:
> >
> > Over the hollidays I installed unstable on my Multia, which handles my
> > dialup connection and firewalling.
>
> > Now when I try to start the isdn services (sh /etc/init.d/isdnutils
> > start). I get the errors stating that there is a version mismatch
> > between isdn utilities (using version 5 of some structure) while kernel
> > is using version 6.
>
> Can you show 'dpkg -l isdnutils-base' ? This sounds like the utils were
> not built properly... Or you have old stuff, perhaps in /usr/local?
> 'type isdnctrl'
>
> Also show 'isdnctrl -V'.  I get:
>
>     isdnctrl version 3.2p1
>     Kernel's view of API-versions:
>     ttyI: 6, net: 6, info: 1
>
> This is on my alpha :-), with isdnutils-base 1:3.2pre1-3

Actually I should have stated this in the orginal mail. I had allready
verified all of this. I even purged the insdutils packages and
reinstalled them in order to make shure that correct versions ware
installed. When that did not work I downloaded the src package and
recompiled the isdnutils deb packages and installed in case there was
not correct packages in the archive (I know a very long shot, but I am
kind of desperate 8-) ).

alpha# dpkg -l isdnutils-base

Status=Not/Installed/Config-files/Unpacked/Failed-config/Half-installed
uppercase=bad)
ii  isdnutils-base 3.2pre1-3      ISDN utilities, the basic (minimal)
set

alpha# isdnctrl -V
isdnctrl version 3.2p1
Kernel's view of API-versions:
ttyI: 6, net: 6, info: 1

alpha# which isdnctrl
/usr/sbin/isdnctrl

What I find the stranges after a litle research of the isdnctrl package
is that in isdnctrl/isdnctrl.c line 136 there is the following code

data_version = (data_version >> 8) & 0xff;

and then later in line 1643

if (data_version > 6) {
        fprintf(stderr, "Kernel-version newer than isdnctrl-version,
terminating.\n");
        fprintf(stderr, "GET A NEW VERSION OF isdn4k-utils.\n");
        exit(-1);
}

At this point data_version is 6 and as we can see in the isdnctrl -V
output and we should therefore not exit through this exit clause....

Like I said before this code is working fine on my i386 where

i386# which isdnctrl
/usr/sbin/isdnctrl

i386#  isdnctrl -V
isdnctrl version 3.2p1
Kernel's view of API-versions:
ttyI: 6, net: 6, info: 1

Anyway I will try to debug this, if no one has seen this before.
I just takes *ucking forever to built on my multia, which leads me to
another issue..
Is is possible to build a crosscompiler for the alpha hosted on i386 and
expect it to work? 8-) I know this was not possible in the "old" days.

> > 3) Paul Sloothman was very knowledgable about ISDN when I was getting a
>
> s/Sloothman/Slootman/

Sorry for my spelling.

> Paul Slootman

K.D.