Re: Kernel 2.6 on alpha

Alan Young [ayoung@teleport.com] wrote:
> I have 2.6-test11 running on a LX164.
> 2.6 seems a tad bit sensitive to compiler versions.
> I could compile and boot it with RedHat's 2.96-112 gcc, but
> firewire would oops.  Compiling with 3.2.3 seemed
> to fix that.

Hmmm.  Well there were an unusual number of compiler warnings about .got
sections.  I'm using gcc 3.3.2.

> USB seems to oops not matter which compiler I use...

For me USB has always been unreliable on the alpha.  It's so bad I just
removed the USB card altogether and now I use my laptop for USB stuff.
(I haven't used USB on alpha in over a year now)

> Which buslogic card do you have?  I have a Bt-956C I that I can try in the LX.

That's the one.

Well only if you need an entertaining way to spend your Saturday.  I'll
play with it some more tomorrow.  As someone else indicated the warning
about scsi debug is not fatal, however my oops happened right after
dump it to ksymoops...and the alpha has so many registers to copy by
hand...  ;)

Thanks,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]