Re: Kernel 2.6 on alpha

On Thu, Dec 18, 2003 at 03:38:57PM -0800, Bob McElrath wrote:

> Has anyone got kernel 2.6.0 running on an alpha yet?

I've got 2.6.0 running on my AS1200, with SMP.

> Gotcha's/bugs/advice?

Seemed to be a pretty straight forward replacement, although.. you'll
want to trim down the kernel to mostly essentials if you're building
it static as otherwise the linker will croak at the end of the compile
(I've had similar problems with 2.4, so.. it's not really kernel
specific).

> It seems the BusLogic driver is behind the curve and gives me an oops on
> bootup on my LX164.  Something about new SCSI debug code.

I've got a BT-958 in another machine (an AS1000a) and I have the same
problem. I'm guessing this isn't platform specific. The Buslogic
driver, AFAICT is fairly old and not terribly well supported anymore,
which probably is a good part of the problem. I too have experienced
the ISP SCSI error on boot that some others have mentioned, but it
seems to work fine anyway (on the AS1200), and the Adaptec 2940 card
I've also got in the AS1200 seems to work flawlessly.

--
Ryan Schaefer
rysch@chaank.com