Re: Rookie questions

On Mon, 3 Nov 2003, Mark Abreu wrote:

> I've got a Alpha Personal Workstation 500a with a 18GB drive and over
> 300mb of memory (I don't remember the exact total at the moment).  I've
> been practicing the installation of Debian "woody" on this box and think
> I've got to the point where I have some questions.

> I'm not sure how I should be partitioning this disk.  My "gut" tells
> me I need something like a 200mb partition for /boot, another 700mb
> partition for swap, and at least one other partition for everything
> else.  So far I've been calling them a, b and c.  Is there a better
> rule of thumb on this point?  I end up with the 200mb partition be
> mounted as / and the large partition as /usr, but I'm not sure this
> is what I want.

I've got PWS 433au with a 18GB drive running Debian testing/unstable.
Here's my partition scheme:

Filesystem             Size   Used  Avail Use% Mounted on
/dev/sda1              1.1G    47M   961M   5% /
/dev/sda4              2.2G    33k   2.1G   1% /tmp
/dev/sda5              2.2G   366M   1.7G  19% /var
/dev/sda6              4.3G   744M   3.3G  19% /usr
/dev/sda7              7.5G   2.2G   5.0G  31% /l

Swap is on /dev/sda2 and is 1GB.

After installation I symlinked /home -> /l/home and have all my locally
installed software under /l. This scheme has worked very well for me.

Jaska