Re: Rookie questions

Hello,
On Mon, Nov 03, 2003 at 07:13:11PM -0500, Mark Abreu wrote:
> First, here's my goal.  I'd like to end up with a system where I can
> check my email, read newsgroups, and run a simple web server.

No problem.

> I'm not sure how I should be partitioning this disk.  My "gut" tells
> me I need something like a 200mb partition for /boot, another 700mb
> partition for swap, and at least one other partition for everything
> else.  So far I've been calling them a, b and c.  Is there a better
> rule of thumb on this point?  I end up with the 200mb partition be
> mounted as / and the large partition as /usr, but I'm not sure this
> is what I want.

Well, /boot does not need to be that large. If you run a webserver,
I'd put /var on a seperate partition as well. Usually I give /home and
possibly /tmp a seperate partition as well, but if it is for your
personal joy it is not necessary (and can be painful if you make
mistakes and do not use lvm).

> kind of X display and pray for KDE but the Xserver apparently won't
> start because I get an error message.

Which error message? Without, it's quite hard to help.

Greetings

           Helge
--
Helge Kreutzmann, Dipl.-Phys.               Helge.Kreutzmann@itp.uni-hannover.de