Problem w Samba: No filenames > 80 chars displayed on Win Clients

I have a problem with the display of filenames > 80 chars when served by
Samba-3.0.0 to Windows clients.

I could not found any hints in the Samba documentation that would explain this
restriction. There seems to be not problem with long filenames with Samba on
i386 machines, so I suspect there might be platform issue behind it.
Any pointers and hints would be appreciated

Thanks
Ulrich Harttig

system: debian 3.0.1 upgraded to testing/unstable on XP-1000
kernel: custom 2.4.22 + acl support (kernel pkg could only be compiled by
downgrading binutils to 2.12.90 & using gcc-3.0)

smb.conf excerpt
[global]
        dos charset = UTF-8 # needed for proper display of umlaute
        unix charset = CP850 # same here
        workgroup = PSF
        netbios name = BERYL
        server string = The SAMBA server@%h (Samba %v)
        obey pam restrictions = Yes
        passwd program = /usr/bin/passwd %u
        passwd chat = *Enter\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n
*Retype\snew\sUNIX\spassword:* %n\n .
        username map = /etc/samba/smbusers
        syslog = 2
        log file = /var/log/samba/log.%m
        max log size = 1000
        printcap name = cups
        mangling method = hash
        add machine script = /usr/sbin/useradd -d /dev/null -g 100 -s
/bin/false -M %u'$'
        logon script = logon.cmd
        logon drive = H:
        domain logons = Yes