Re: using compaq fortran for linux on alpha

On Mon, 2003-11-03 at 09:03, Roberto Bernetti wrote:
> Hi
> I've installed Debian 3 on a personal workstation 500au with minor problems I
> hope you can help to solve:
> 1)  The distribution CD's didn't contain some packages as LyX and Maxima but
> on the official site they appear to be included
> 2) the symboic link of the BLAS library were not correct, they were
> /usr/lib/libblas.so.2 instead of /usr/lib/libblas.so).

I think this is deliberate, you have to install blas-dev to get
libblas.so.  But the soname is always libblas.so.2, whether you use
blas-dev or any of the ATLAS implementations.

> 3)Then I downloaded the compaq fortran for linux but after transforming the
> *.rpm packages in *.deb I installed it using
> dpkg -i *.rpm
> when I run the compiler I get:
>
> /usr/lib/libcpml.so: file not recognized: File truncated
> collect2: ld returned 1 exit status
> fort: Severe: Failed while trying to link.
> make: *** [nlswe2d] Error 1
>
> Could be the reason the installing of the library cpml after the compiler
> packages?

The "recommended" way of doing this is to get the RPMs, then install the
installer .debs, which will prompt you for the location of the RPMs.
Unfortunately, you have to get an installer .deb whose version exactly
matches the RPM.  But when you do this, it sets up lots of nice things
like doc-base registry of documentation, etc.

I have a contact at HP working on letting Debian distribute the actual
libs in the .debs for cpml, cxml, libots and cfalrtl, and encrypted RPMs
in the .debs for cfal, ccc and cxx.  So you can just "apt-get install
cfal" and, if you have the license key, just provide it and everything
will just install.  I'm not expecting anything real soon (it's been
about three months so far), but these may be ready in time for sarge...

Zeen,
--
-Adam P.

http://lyre.mit.edu/~powell/The_Best_Stuff_In_The_World_Today_Cafe.ogg