Re: AlphaServer GS140 (8400)

Hi,

On Tue, Sep 23, 2003 at 04:50:44PM -0500, Kelledin wrote:
> On Tuesday 23 September 2003 01:41 pm, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> > I just happened to get one, so any interest if getting linux
>
> "Just happened?"  You lucky devil, you! ;D

Actually i just got it free. They were going to junk it and i 'adoptec
it for good retirement home'

> > I have told that it's upgraded GS140 (from AlphaServer 8400).
> > It has 8CPU (6/525 if my memory serves me. 2/board) and 12GB
> > memory (4GB/board).
>
> This is a "Wildfire" machine, and Debian claims to support it in
> Woody:
>
> http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch-hardware-req.en.html
>
> I myself would be using Woody to bootstrap LinuxFromScratch on
> there, but I'm just crazy like that.
>
> Also, from HP:
>
> http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/gs160/
>
> These things are supposed to support "Linux Developers Kit",
> whatever that means.

No it's not. This is AlphaServer 8400 (upgraded to GS140) and you're
talking about GS160, which is AFAIK different machine.

http://www.debian.org/ports/alpha/sys_types

AFAIK GS80 is just updated AlphaServer 8200

What i have understood is, that the GS140 is just upgraded 8400. This
propably means just CPU/memory update and nothing else. I might be
terribly wrong about that too.

> Hmm.  To my knowledge, these things don't come with floppy
> drives.  I don't know if they have floppy controllers or not.  I
> suspect not, which would mean you're stuck having to boot from
> CD.  I haven't had experience booting Debian CDs on Alpha, but I
> would first try booting it with the "bd2.4" disc if possible.
> Netbooting is a bit of a big step if you've never done it
> before.

No it does not have floppy. CD-boot is as it's normally from SRM. alilo
actually loads kernel+initrd, but that's it.

MOP-boot is working too. I upgraded the SRM before with MOP. It's only
reasonably easy way to do that :)

> What was the boot command you tried, and what was the error
> message, precisely?  Did it ever get farther than SRM?

Norman like 'boot dkg0' and the selected from alilo prompt the set i
wanted to try.

> Also, a "show dev" from SRM would be very helpful...

Sure it would, but i didn't have right kind of adapter with me before,
so i was pretty much limited to VT510. I have now suitable cable for my
laptop, so i can grab it out.

But it's not the SRM as i said above. Alilo is loading, but the kernel
isn't starting. It's HALT:ing right after it's trying to start the
kernel.

I'll grab those 'show dev' etc. later. now i am too far away and i
really should get some sleep.

               ___o     </\_    upi@iki.fi
   /\o_      _ \<,_   __/\      <URL: http://iki.fi/upi/ >