Re: AlphaServer GS140 (8400)

On Tuesday 23 September 2003 01:41 pm, Pasi Pirhonen wrote:
> I just happened to get one, so any interest if getting linux
> running on this kind of platform? What i have tried to find
> out, got me impression that linux isn't even near booting this
> kind of hardware.

"Just happened?"  You lucky devil, you! ;D

> I have told that it's upgraded GS140 (from AlphaServer 8400).
> It has 8CPU (6/525 if my memory serves me. 2/board) and 12GB
> memory (4GB/board).

This is a "Wildfire" machine, and Debian claims to support it in
Woody:

http://www.debian.org/releases/stable/alpha/ch-hardware-req.en.html

I myself would be using Woody to bootstrap LinuxFromScratch on
there, but I'm just crazy like that.

Also, from HP:

http://h18002.www1.hp.com/alphaserver/gs160/

These things are supposed to support "Linux Developers Kit",
whatever that means.

> I cannot grant public access, but if there is anything, i am
> willing to compile and for example MOP-boot to get things
> evolving towards working support.

Hmm.  To my knowledge, these things don't come with floppy
drives.  I don't know if they have floppy controllers or not.  I
suspect not, which would mean you're stuck having to boot from
CD.  I haven't had experience booting Debian CDs on Alpha, but I
would first try booting it with the "bd2.4" disc if possible.
Netbooting is a bit of a big step if you've never done it
before.

> I am no kernel coder, so i am pretty much useless when we talk
> about the kernel code. Still willing to spend hours and hours
> to get things working.
>

> PS. Already (could not resist) tried to boot woody and failed
> miserably :)

What was the boot command you tried, and what was the error
message, precisely?  Did it ever get farther than SRM?

Also, a "show dev" from SRM would be very helpful...

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"