Kernel upgrade from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18

Title: Kernel upgrade from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18

Hi:

I recently installed Woody 30r1 on an AlphaServer 800 without a hitch.  I wanted some of the RAID and LVM options, and so went to upgrade my kernel to a 2.4.18 version.

I am new to linux, so I am sure I am just missing something!

Currently, it is running well using the 2.2.20-generic kernel (no customizations).

I used the apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-generic and installed the kernel (without configuring a ram disk image - BTW - why would I need a ram disk?).

When I reboot, it panics when it tries to mount the root fs "VFS:  Cannot open root device "sda1" or 08:01" - it seems this is a fairly common occurrence (I browsed through usenet) - but the reasons vary from kernel config options to aboot configs.

I looked at aboot.conf, and the sda1 (my first partition) is configured as my boot partition (filesystem is ext2).  I browsed through the config-2.4.18-generic file and it lists support for my SCSI disks and for ext2 ...  I can choose vmlinuz.old from the aboot menu and boot up just fine (VFS:  Mounted root (ext2 filesystem)) - what am I missing here?

Thank You,
Chandi