Re: Kernel upgrade from 2.2.20 to 2.4.18

On Thursday, 11 September 2003 at 13:42:34 -0700, Hunt, Chandi wrote:

>    Currently,  it  is  running  well  using the 2.2.20-generic kernel (no
>    customizations).
>
>    I  used  the apt-get install kernel-image-2.4.18-generic and installed
>    the  kernel  (without configuring a ram disk image - BTW - why would I
>    need a ram disk?).

You would, because:

>    When  I  reboot,  it  panics  when it tries to mount the root fs "VFS:
>    Cannot  open  root device "sda1" or 08:01" - it seems this is a fairly
>    common  occurrence  (I  browsed through usenet) - but the reasons vary
>    from kernel config options to aboot configs.

All the disk and filesystem drivers are built as modules and are
contained on the initrd ramdisk. Try reinstalling the kernel deb (or
maybe just run a "dpkg-reconfigure kernel-image-2.4.18-generic"?  Can't
check from home, but may suffice) and have it build the initrd image.
And make sure the aboot.conf line has "initrd=/initrd.img" added to it.
That should do the job!

Cheers,
Sander

--