boot loader

Hi all

I have been traying to install Debian GNU/Linux on my Alpha server 800 and
I have a little problem with aboot loader
When I made the partitions (bsd disklabel style) I left an small empty
partition at the beginning of the disk drive (from cylinder 1 to cylinder
2) for aboot, later the instaler program cannot install the aboot boot
loader, I think the proble it could be the type of partition label.
What kind of partition label it need to be? (unsused, 4.2BSD, boot,
...)

TIA.

--
Leonardo Saavedra Henriquez