Re: Netscape crashing [Fwd: Re: Re: Browser for Multia]

mcompengr@earthlink.net [mcompengr@earthlink.net] wrote:

> Sites that crash Netscape 4.78 on my Alphas.
>
> www.zend.com (uses PHP)
> www.oceanatlas.org (uses JSP)
> www.ebay.com (uses static HTML)
> www.c-span.org
>
> Going to these and others results in an instant Netscape crash for me.
> The source is supposed to available at mozilla.org but I only see Mozilla
> itself there, not Commuicator.  My build of Mozilla 2.6 took up 2 Gig
> of disk space (wow).  It doesn't crash going to those sites, but it is
> incredibly slow, 50 sec. just to come up on the XP1000.  Is the Netscape
> really "open".

Netscape is an antiquated, buggy, spec-nonconforming, unreliable piece
of shit.  The source of the Netscape browser evolved into the Mozilla
project.  Don't use Netscape 4.x unless you absolutely have to.

These days web designers use features (such as CSS) that Netscape simply
does not implement properly.  Fixing these bugs is such a large
undertaking that the Netscape team abandoned the original 4.x source and
started from scratch, a project now known as Mozilla.

There are many open browsers available in the debian/alpha binary archive,
such as mozilla, konqueror, galeon, epiphany-browser, and
mozilla-firebird.  They're already compiled in the archive, you
shouldn't need to compile it yourself.

Cheers,
Bob McElrath [Univ. of California at Davis, Department of Physics]

    "Knowledge will forever govern ignorance, and a people who mean to
    be their own governors, must arm themselves with the power knowledge
    gives. A popular government without popular information or the means
    of acquiring it, is but a prologue to a farce or a tragedy or
    perhaps both."
        - James Madison