Re: alpha server 800

hi Jan!

On Sun, 07 Sep 2003, Jan Baumgarten wrote:

> The patch for the DAC960 can be found at

wow cool, i'v seen this patch floating around at lklml from jay estabrook,
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106271056223793&w=2
that got in 2.6.0-test4-mm6
ftp://ftp.kernel.org/pub/linux/kernel/people/akpm/patches/2.6/2.6.0-test4/2.6.0-test4-mm6/broken-out/dac960-warning-fixes.patch

the -ac serie seems also to have patches from him like this one:
http://marc.theaimsgroup.com/?l=linux-kernel&m=106216102308923&w=2

> You should apply the patch for dac960.c but not the one for do_mounts.c
> because this is alredy in the Kernel.

ok :)

> You have to chaet a bit when installing because Debian (not even the
> installed system) doesn't have the device files needed for the DAC960.
> They can be created using mknod.

?ok? .. will look for that

> Tip: Use a SCSI-Disk on the normal SCSI controller to install a base
> Debian. This gives you some kind of a rescue system if something goes
> wrong during the installation on the Raid.

i had the idea to do the base install on a simple ide disk
and than use something like dd to be able to boot from the raid

> If you wish, I could provide you with the running kernel from my system
> (2.4.21) or its configuration file.

the conf file would be great .. (don't know if the list appreciate ..
so please seperatly would be wonderfull)
would also held the response to my last question:
are you using smp?

regards
a++ maks