other partitioning schemes?

I have partitioned my SCSI hard disks with OSF-style disklabels,
but I am interested in trying out other partitioning schemes,
in particular EFI GPT.

The parted tool can create partition tables in various schemes,
and Linux supports even more.  I am curious about booting,
however.  I looked at the aboot-0.9 sources and it seems to
support only the OSF scheme.  Is this correct?

Also, I got the impression that SRM merely loads and runs a boot
block from a fixed location and doesn't know anything about
partition tables.  Where can I get more information about the
on-disk structures expected by SRM, in order to see whether they
can coexist with EFI GPT at all?