Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

On Sunday 06 July 2003 04:32 pm, Jan-Benedict Glaw wrote:
> > I built (and run) 2.4.21 from kernel.org and it worked fine
> > for me.  I haven't tried the unstable version.  I use a
> > slightly wacky .config (legacy start address, my scsi driver
> > built in because I can't use initrd, etc.) because I need to
> > run MILO, but I've put it below anyway.
>
> That's no bad setup at all! Personally, I don't like playing
> around with initrds. I think these only complicate the picture
> unneccessarily. Better, have some nice script to compile
> (perfectly fitting) kernels for all your machines. Maybe kpkg
> can help you there (I don't like it...).

Ditto here.  initrd's work OK for distros trying to use
precompiled kernels, and hardware manufacturers trying to
support their hardware for said precompiled kernels.  If you're
compiling your own kernel, initrd is unnecessary and is a
management PITA besides.

--
Kelledin
it still cost four figures to fix?"