Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

On Mon, Jun 30, 2003 at 03:21:43PM +0200, Adrian Zaugg wrote:

> On Sun, 29 Jun 2003 21:18:08 -0400
> Ed Schindler <edschindler-linux@comcast.net> wrote:
>
> > when I read that a lot of alpha-specific patches had gone into it. And
> > it did compile a whole lot more cleanly. It just doesn't boot.
>
> I had the same problem compiling 2.4.20 until I used gcc3.2.

Amusingly enough I was unable to build a 2.4.21 kernel that didn't
hang during IDE initilization until i reverted to using gcc 2.95.4.
2.4.20 built and worked fine for me with gcc 3.2.

One sad regression between 2.4.20 -> 2.4.21 is that the IDE subsystem
no longer seems to work when built as modules (lots of depmod unmet
dependancy errors).  At least that's the case for my PC164LX with
the onboard CMD IDE controller.  (its not that important; but with ide
modules i could unmount that drive, unload the modules and take the disk
out of its removable drive sled, put a new one in, reload the modules
and remount and be off and running without a reboot.)

BTW, I recently added a 1394 firewire interface to my PC164LX.
It works great.  I get 27mb/sec to/from a firewire disk.  The on board
IDE interface and Symbios SCSI interfaces only get 12-14mb/sec.  USB 2.0
got around 17mb/sec before hanging.  The 1394 interface is very stable
in 2.4.21; i've run large compiles (mozilla) on it without problems.

The adaptor card I used was a SIIG combo 1394, usb2, 10/100 ethernet
PCI card.

-g