Re: 2.4.21 on alpha

At Sun, 29 Jun 2003 22:32:36 +0000,
"Andrew M.A. Cater" <amacater@galactic.demon.co.uk> wrote:

> On Fri, Jun 27, 2003 at 10:52:50AM +0200, Jan Lentfer wrote:
> > Hi list,
> >
> > Anyone else tried to run 2.4.21 on Alpha?
> >
> > Thanks,
> >
> > Jan
> >
> Yes :(  Prepackaged 2.4.20 and 2.4.21 from the Debian ftp site
> die on me immediately after the qlogic card is initialised in my
> 433AU - kernel panic ending in something like "in swapper not syncing"
> Prior to that there's about a page of oopsing
> .
> 2.4.18 once worked for me but since then I've had trouble
>
> 2.2.20 works fine on the same machine
>
> All help appreciated, as ever :)
>
> Andy

   2.4.21 seems to be working ok on my PWS 433au running Debian/sarge
with the following additions/patches:

- Qlogic driver replaced with the one from www.feral.com/isp.html (so
  that I can use tape drives, I hope)
- ALSA package from Debian (make sure you get the current one)
- Current XFS patch
- Current packet-writing patch
- One or two others whose names escape me at the moment, since I'm not
  near the machine

   Note that I compile the kernel myself; haven't tried the
pre-packaged ones, mostly because they don't have things I need (like
XFS).

   So it can be done. Anything you'd like me to check for you?

 .....Ron

--
Ron Murray   (rjmx@rjmx.net)
http://www.rjmx.net/~ron