Re: AS255, X not running

Thanks, Nick, Worked like a charm. KDM up and running as is X now. Much easier...

KeithG

From: Nick Ntarmos <ntarmos@ceid.upatras.gr>
To: debian-alpha@lists.debian.org

Hi there.

On Wed, Jun 18, 2003 at 07:38:19PM -0400, Keith Grider wrote:
Same here, kinda. I have woody running on an XP1000. X bombs out when I
type 'startx' or 'xinit', but I can type xf86cfg, get a window and load
a wm and run programs, etc. When I save the cfg file and try to fire it
up again, it complains about a missing something or other...

Don't run xf86cfg directly. Try "dpkg-reconfigure xserver-xfree86"
(without the quotes of course)...

(WW) Warning, couldn't open module pex5
(EE) Failed to load module "pex5" (module does not exist, 0)

During dpkg-reconfigure, debconf will ask you for the modules to load.
It appears that pex5 is no longer bundled with X, since it is now
"superseded by Mesa/OpenGL", so deselect it.

(II) Loading /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a
Duplicate symbol TT_FreeType_Version in
/usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libxtt.a:xttmodule.o
Also defined in /usr/X11R6/lib/modules/fonts/libfreetype.a

Both "xtt" and "freetype" are modules that handle the rendering of
TrueType fonts and may thus conflict with each other. Depending on
various factors (e.g. the font server in use, existence or not of
truetype fonts in your system, etc.) you may or may not need any of
them. In any case, don't select them both.

Bye,
Nick.

--
 Nick "Noth" Ntarmos     | <ntarmos at ceid dot upatras dot gr>
 NetCINS Lab. @ C.E.I.D. | [http://students.ceid.upatras.gr/~ntarmos/]