Debian Installer hangs

Dear List

Installing Debian on a rawhide with a diskaray connected to a QLogic HVD
(ISP 1040)* leads to a kernel panic:
	VFS: Unable to mount root fs on 01:00

If I connect a single SCSI Drive to a Symbios Card, I can install Debian easily
and access the diskarray and use the disks (unfortunately there is no
space to mount this drive nowhere, so I must use the diskarray solely).

I have tried the following:
  - use LordSuch's Netinst (from CD)
  - use the rescue- and rootdisk (from floppy)
  - preformat the disks with ext3 and bsd disklabels
  - with unformatted and unpartitioned disks
  - different cabling
  - using bootflag rootfstype
  - googling to get other hints...

What else can I try?

Can I move an installation from the single drive to the array?
(Installing a Debian without anything to the single disk, connecting the
array, boot into Debian, partition and format the array, make it
bootable and copy the whole thing...would that work?)

What does the number 01:00 in the error-message mean? If I change the
cabling, sometimes I get 02:00.

Thank you for your help!

Regards, Adrian.

*)