Re: Alpha vr Monitor

On Mon, Apr 14, 2003 at 05:09:49PM -0500, Kelledin wrote:
> On Monday 14 April 2003 09:53 am, roberto.varela@teradyne.com
> wrote:
> > I have an Alpha Station 200 with the DEC monitor VRC21-KA.
> > This monitor uses 5 cable (Red, Green, Blue & 2 sync)
>
> This sounds like old BNC x5 connections.  These are coax plugs
> that latch in by twisting maybe a quarter-turn.  I could be
> wrong, though; Jay Estabrook could probably tell us if I was.

IIRC, VRC21-xx are all multi-sync VGA monitors, most of which had
those BNC-style connectors. The cables with those were notorious for
going bad (I've replaced a dozen or more over the years), but they are
the only game in town for those monitors with only the BNC connectors.

> > I want to know if it's possible to plug a normal VGA PC's
> > monitor into the Alpha unit ???? and how ???
>
> ...possibly.  I do know that you can connect a normal VGA
> (15-pin, 3-row DSUB) to a BNC x5 monitor, because I've done so
> with my Sony monitor (GDM-FW900).  It just takes a rather
> uncommon cable.  I don't know if the conversion can go the other
> way though.
>
> OTOH, you may be able to just get a monitor with the BNC x5
> inputs.  Some higher-end CRTs (like mine) have this, in addition
> to the more standard 15-pin DSUB VGA input.  But this would
> severely limit your choice of monitors.

Well, a normal VGA PC's monitor should have a plug to connect to the
VGA port on a graphics card; the Alpha graphics card should also have
one of these, as the cable from the Alpha to the VRC21 has the
BNC-style copnnectors only at the monitor end.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com