From: "Richard Fillion" <rick@rhix.ods.org>
To: "Bob Schmidt" <pastorbob@centurytel.net>
Cc: <debian-alpha@lists.debian.org>
Sent: Tuesday, April 01, 2003 5:33 PM
Subject: Re: newbie

> The osf/bsd labels are a tad confusing at first.  It took me the better
> part of a day to figure it out.  I'm not entirely sure which
> partitioning tool you're being sent to, but i suggest you hit alt+f2 and
> use fdisk.  fdisk /dev/hda will probably be what you'll have to type.
> Now if you hit "m" for help, you should see "b   edit bsd disklabel".
> Thats what you're looking for.  You dont want partitions on the disk,
> you want BSD disklabels.  They are slightly different.
>
> Here's a tip for ya...save yourself a bit of trouble, and start the
> first labal "a" a few megs from the start.  I'm guessing you'll be using
> aboot to boot the box, it needs a bit of room at the start of the disk.
> That'll give it the room it needs.
>
> Richard Fillion
> rick@rhix.ods.org
>
> On Tue, Apr 01, 2003 at 04:21:52PM -0800, Bob Schmidt wrote:
> > Hi,
> >
> > Just got my 433au today in the mail.  I am trying to install debian
3.0r1 on it.  Now I have used linux before, but this is all new to me here.
It tells me that I have to have an (I think) an osf/bsd boot label, then it
sends me to the disk partioning program.  I type the letter b like it tells
me to, then type r to go to the regular disk setup.  I then try to add a
swap partion, etc. and it boots me back to the original disk partion screen.

> > Help, I'm desperate, how do you set up the hard drive (ide, not scsi) to
install debian.  I looked at the install directions and it basically tells
you the same thing the install program does.