RE: Multia Install problems

Hello there.
I am currently running a 166 Alpha Multia,
and not using SRM.

I'm using ARC and went through the aches and pains of that, instead.

If I understand Multias correctly (I'm a total newbie to Linux AND
Alphas)
I'd say that the Multia won't boot directly from an EXT2 partition,
period.

You have to create a FAT partition (the Multia can read directly from
FAT or from ISO9660 only),
and you have to point the firmware to the partition, where Milo and the
"noname" file live.

Once you get Milo to load into memory, which can read ext2, you can load
the root partition and the kernel,etc.

In ARC, it's annoying, because you have to create an entry in the
firmware that will tell the multia
where MILO is, and then enter a passthrough command to MILO which allows
the system to boot.

When I did my install, I gave up trying to install from CD altogether,
and did a net install using floppies
and the ethernet connector.

I got that part done without TOO much trouble and spent some painful
time getting "X" to work.

Take it easy, have fun.

Ted Letofsky