Re: AlphaServer 4100 support?

On Sat, Nov 16, 2002 at 12:04:03PM -0500, Jay Estabrook wrote:
> There was a problem on 4100 when PCI cards with builtin bridges were
> installed, a not uncommon occurrence on 4100 as the KZPCM option was
> often present - a bridged card with dual SCSI controllers plus NIC
> behind the bridge. A "show config" under SRM ought to give you the
> information needed to identify such a situation.
>
> I suspect the best solution is a more recent kernel; I believe 2.4.18 or
> later may solve the problem.

Well OK, I've pulled out all the PCI cards, 3 of the 4 CPUs, and 1.5 out
of the 2 gigs of memory.  I've let the installation kernel spin over
night spitting out it's PCI probe errors.  I've also upgraded the
firmware on the machine.  Nothing works.  There is nothing wrong with
the machine, as DEC Unix and FreeBSD both worked fine on it and its
twin, while Debian choked on both machines.

I was not able to get the machine to load a kernel off a Redhat boot
floppy, but that is more due to my inability to figure out how (i.e.
it's not a compatibility issue).

Since both woody and potato use a 2.2 kernel for installation, it might
be interesting to see if 2.4 will boot on this machine.  On x86, we have
the bf24 bootfloppies which use the 2.4 kernel.  Does anybody have
something like that for Alpha?

Thanks.
noah