Re: AlphaServer 4100 support?

On Fri, Nov 15, 2002 at 05:58:51PM -0500, Noah L. Meyerhans wrote:

> OK, here's what happens.  At boot:
>
> PCI: Probing PCI hardware
> MCPCIA machine check: vector=0x660 pc=0xfffffc0000320064 code=0x2020000
>
> Then it goes back up to the MCPCIA line and loops forever.  Presumably
> some of the numbers change, and it does seem like more messages get
> logged at some point, but the above messages are pretty typical.
>
> Any ideas?  It's obviously some kind of confusion on the PCI bus, but
> what might be causing it?

As you say, it's obviously having some problems in the PCI probe/setup
code.

There was a problem on 4100 when PCI cards with builtin bridges were
installed, a not uncommon occurrence on 4100 as the KZPCM option was
often present - a bridged card with dual SCSI controllers plus NIC
behind the bridge. A "show config" under SRM ought to give you the
information needed to identify such a situation.

I suspect the best solution is a more recent kernel; I believe 2.4.18 or
later may solve the problem.

Good luck.

 --Jay++

Jay A Estabrook                            HPTC - LINUX support
Hewlett-Packard Company - MRO1-2/K15       (508) 467-2080
200 Forest Street, Marlboro MA 01752       Jay.Estabrook@hp.com